Thoughts on same-sex marriage

by Megan on June 30, 2011

in Theology for Ordinary Life

I'm holding my breath and jumping in the deep end today at WORLD. Care to join the discussion on explaining same-sex marriage to kids?

PS: If you haven't read Wesley Hill's book, Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality you really really should.

Margaret June 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Greetings from your Unitarian lurker. I bet this was a tough post to write. We have different views, but I respect your absolute respect of non-legislated beliefs. I wish there were more thoughtful people like you in the world. Good luck in your new life in OK!

aubrey June 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I’m still thinking through these issues, myself, but I do have sympathies in that direction. Anyway, after skimming the numerous comments I thought you might want a friendly hello.

Megan June 30, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Friendly hellos are always welcome! I stopped reading the comments after about #10, so I’m doing okay. *grin*

Megan June 30, 2011 at 10:23 pm

So glad you checked in tonight! It’s been a long time! I do appreciate your thoughts here and am glad you still stick around.

Megan June 30, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Yowza. I just skimmed through the comments. No idea there were so many and that my Christianity was being taken to task. When you make people on BOTH sides of the issue angry that take some doing, no?
In case anyone from WORLD cares to come here and read this comment, I want to quickly say that I never said I had trouble explaining to my kids that I believe homosexuality to be a sin. I said I had trouble pinpointing what I believe the CULTURE should do on the legislation of same-sex marriage. I’m not saying I LIKE it, I’m saying I don’t expect any less from the world in which we live.
Or I tried to say that at least. Apparently I didn’t do a very good job.

Kristen July 1, 2011 at 1:02 am

Yowza, indeed. I agree with you, maybe even a step more to the liberal side of this issue. I think we should win culture legitimately. The majority is for gay marriage and I am not sure it’s the best witness to hold firm for state marriage certificates. I hate how so many areas where Christians can honestly disagree become litmus tests for who is a REAL believer.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: