I’ve tried a variety of ways to teach Spanish to my kids at various times. I don’t know Spanish myself, so let’s just say it’s been a challenge for me and move on, shall we? Enter Speekee. Speekee is video-based immersion approach Spanish for kids. Sock puppets? Yep. Songs? Yep. Skits? Yep. Something like this:
Look like something you might find on the PBS station early in the morning? Yep. Only in Spanish. There are ten episodes of Speekee and each video has a different theme to it. Within each them like El Cafe, different concepts are featured. Some of the things we experienced through our Speekee subscription included counting numbers, telling time, being careful, colors, fruits, and many more. Kids walk away having learned important basic words and phrases. But they’ve learned them in such a fun way, it’s hard to convince them they are really learning!
- During the 10 episodes of Speekee they provide over 150 minutes of pure Spanish learning.
- The Spanish is from real Spanish children in actual Spanish locations.
- Songs, animation, and puppets abound!
- You have the option to include subtitles in either Spanish or English.
- Free activity sheets are available to download.
- Created by Specialist Learning Teachers
- Free optional extra curriculum
- Songs you can’t stop singing (I don’t know if that’s a plus or not…ahem…okay, kidding. Kinda…)
I personally subscribed to the FastTrack version of Speekee. My two youngest kids are on the older end of who this is appropriate for and I thought they could handle a quicker pace. I really like the reminder emails that come each week with this:
Speekee is designed with younger kids in mind – toddler through elementary age kids. You can get a two week free trial to check it out and after that it costs $7.50/month, or you can purchase an entire year at once for $60.
I’d say for sure to do the trial first to see if the program meets your family goals and needs and also to make sure it holds your child’s attention. After that, assuming it does, this is a pretty great option for giving young kids a basic Spanish education.
Be sure to check out what the rest of the TOS Homeschool Crew had to say about Speekee right here!